Catch Up Post

I found I liked teaching during the pandemic because it forced me to cultivate connections with students via a technology medium. I chose poetry lessons that were quirky, fun, moving, and emotional. We all needed to process our emotions and what better way than poetry?! The students were amazing troopers and said they were glad to have something to focus on (since I'm hard core according to a few). Even when they returned to school in the fall, all masked up, on alternating day schedules with no movement from room to room (teachers moved that fall), we still had connection and forged new ones. It was hard but do-able. 

Those 7th and 8th grade students of March-May 2020 included my youngest son. We returned from the 8th grade pilgrimage to DC and NYC the week before the school and world shut down on March 13, 2020. We were told two weeks would be all that we needed off--we all know how that went. He did have an 8th grade promotion to high school event. I cannot call it a graduation. We were all one row per family in the church for their Promotion Mass. The 8th grade picture with the principal and pastor was awkward as they were all standing apart. Special masks were worn by students and yard signs were displayed. The extended family watched the live stream video from home. When he began high school that fall, it was with similar restrictions about space and location and movement in the school. Learning seemed less and emotional support seemed more at the high school level. Their first dance was on the football field with no one dancing, just listening to music. Many "firsts" of high school were altered. As the rules relaxed, high school became more traditional his sophomore year. He just graduated this past May having met the academic goals he had set for himself in January 2020 during high school registration. I am so happy for him as he begins his university journey. He already has a plan in place, yet I wonder how this next step will be for him. 

My oldest son eventually stopped college as he lost his way due to his own longings and school-related obstacles. He started working for a private company and discovered his love of working with people. He's gregarious by nature, so it was a good fit. He then moved to a PT clinic to work more closely with patients. He has a talent to serve! Now he's about to finish his undergraduate degree in December in General Studies with an Applied Science degree. He's weighing his options for his next steps. He's married now and thinks of the bigger picture. I'll have two sons in college together this fall, one in-person and one online. I'm so happy and proud of them both. It's a privilege to watch them grow.

Hy husband who taught online before the pandemic, still taught that way during the pandemic. However, the implementation by his school system of the online program was not well executed, so that school model was phased out after the pandemic. It left a bad taste in many educator's mouths. So, the program rebooted under another title with new people and a new location. It did not do as well as before, so it was phased out too. His student population changed from those who needed a non-traditional learning setting to those who want to avoid it. There is a distinction and some apathy present in both students and parents. My husband is good with non-traditional students, but this is a bit different and challenging for him. I pray for his success this year. We celebrate his remission from cancer with now yearly check ins.

I left private school education and entered, accidentally, the world of charter school public education a week before school in August 2023. I was supposed to be retired and had been for about six months, six perfect peaceful glorious months with a planned pilgrimage to Italy in April 2024. God has a sense of humor and a way of answering previous prayers in unique ways. I loved the challenge, growth, and opportunities I had to really teach high school again and a grade I had not previously taught. This August, I return with zeal to teach not only 9th but 10th grade as well, and a couple of Honors level classes. I'm inspired to do my best for my students. Was last year filled with mild anxiety about a test they all had to pass? Yes. Did I actually leave for Italy for 10 days a week before that test? Yes. Did everything work out well for students? Mostly yes. Do I look forward to doing it all over again? Yes! 

Growing is uncomfortable but necessary. I'm reinvigorated (and mildly daunted) by the opportunity to take the best of my past teaching experiences and synthesize them with new learning and teaching experiences. I'm ready! My children and husband are ready. Are you ready to embrace your opportunities and challenges?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TKAM Discussion 3 Equality --- START WITH #1 AS IT CONTAINS AN ANSWER EXAMPLE

TKAM Discussion 2 Philanthropy

TKAM Discussion 1 Drugs/Alcohol