Abandoned Poem


Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Abandoned poem

I am so excited because this past weekend I was told that I will be part of the Acadiana Writing Institute this summer. I will spend 5 weeks learning new and innovative techniques to enhance my personal writing, my students' writing, and my dept.

Coaching Day was this past Saturday and one assignment I completed was to create a first person free verse poem based on a photograph. My poem follows and is based on a similar picture to this one that I found at Wednesday, April 25, 2007

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0509/katrina31.html

- the original picture that my poem is based on is this scene from a different angle and can be found in the book Eyes of the Storm: Hurricane Katrina and Rita The Photographic Story. My poem is from the perspective of the elderly lady.



Abandoned

I survived another tragedy
She's left me again to death
Yet I continue
alive,
alone,
assured of one thing --
abandonment

I know her reasons
I understand her feelings
These hold no comfort as I
traverse this water soaked grave
of doom and devestation

I call to Him
He shall comfort
He shall provide
He shall take away
my feelings of utter despair,
panic, and solitude
He has brought me rescue
and a new family

I will continue as I have --
alive, alone, and assured
Until death takes me
where she wishes
And she shall be mothered
no more.

composed 4/21/2007

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TKAM Discussion 3 Equality --- START WITH #1 AS IT CONTAINS AN ANSWER EXAMPLE

TKAM Discussion 1 Drugs/Alcohol

TKAM Discussion 2 Philanthropy