Week 1 of Virtual Learning

It's Saturday again and the pandemic is spreading.  This week was good but also tough.  I was so tired of technology by Tuesday afternoon, that mowing the yard was appealing.  I was not in balance and needed to get outside.  Learning new software (Zoom and Loom) and re-learning software I had not used since Greg had cancer (Screencastify because Loom and I did not get along) was a bit frustrating.  My videos were not my best, but they were real.  I made many mistakes and begged forgiveness from my students.  Google Hangouts were good!  Community building!  Students could help each other.  We made it through! 

The grading period ended Tuesday and grades were due Thursday.  I was non-stop grading when I wasn't recording lessons.  I didn't leave my computer except to mow the yard Tuesday and take a walk Wednesday.  I would have declared Thursday and Friday tech-free days, but I had office hours and a few grading issues to resolve.  We had an earlier rosary than usual to unite in prayer with the Pope on Wednesday.  In a foreign language.  It still was beautiful.  My back patio called to me to clean it off and so I did.  I wish I had a pressure washer to do a better job, but it's ready to be used this spring and summer.  Mostly in the morning because it gets full sun in the late afternoon. 

My husband's school system is back up and running.  I'm glad they are learning again and he feels needed again.  It's sometimes not good to have too much time to think. 

Friday was a blessing.  I ventured out to the store for the first time in two weeks.  New food for the following days.  While I enjoy homemade peanut butter and grape jam crackers, there might be a limit to how many times I will enjoy them and I don't want to find that limit.  I only saw one couple in full masks and gloves.  I did feel a bit alarmed.  It brings the seriousness of this epidemic to full consciousness. I used the wipes on the cart and didn't touch items that I did not need.  While the store employees were applauded for their time and sacrifice by the customers (announced over intercom), there weren't any visible precautions other than cashiers cleaning their station when they didn't have customers.  I used an antibacterial wipe on my hands when I returned to the car and followed it with hand sanitizing gel. I threw the bags away when I was at home quickly and then washed my hands again. 

The Pope asked us to join him in prayer and adoration at noon our time and 6 pm Italy's time.  My husband, youngest son, and I joined him on the Vatican News app on Greg's phone, which was thankfully translated into English, but we also had the Vatican News YouTube channel open on the tv so we could see it in a larger picture.  What a beautiful hour with the Lord and the Pope.  If you missed the Pope's homily, read it here.  The imagery, that beautiful old cross, his frailty, adoration, the singing, and music all moved me and filled me with a sense of peace that I had been missing during the past frantic week and a half.  Slow down.  Rest.  Be.  The stillness and quietness of St. Peter's square.  The twilight approaching as the hour progressed.  I find it interesting that I always become sleepy when I go to church for Mass or adoration.  Does my body and soul know that I'm in a place of safety and can rest?  That He has me in his arms?  This peace was what I needed...

to face what happened when I opened my email.  Silly Tanya.  I love teaching poetry almost as much as I love reading and teaching The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.  I was starting my introduction to poetry with a technique learned from the Summer Institute I was fortunate enough to be a part of with the National Writing Project of Acadiana (aka Acadiana Writing Project).  It's fun and involves music and quirkiness--all necessary to take the seriousness away from people's dread of poetry. I used metapoetry to gauge students' understanding of what they believed poetry to be.  I followed up with a couple of poems from the "What Poetry Can Do" part of Naming the World by Nancie Atwell.  They're poems that are a bit different from what students expect, yet show how poems can be whimsical and yet convey a deeper theme.  I ask that students attempt to create a poem for each type that we cover, so they can get those poetry muscles flexing.  Then, to be fair and hold them accountable, I ask that they submit one of the three poems that they attempted/wrote to a FlipGrid.  Ahh, youth.  Long story short: cheating admissions via email.  One student was bored and offered to write poems for friends.  Yet, because of the peace in my soul, I was able to respond without personal hurt or drama.  Saddened, yes.  Angry, no.  Usually, this would have crushed my spirit, but not this time!

So, back to Saturday.  Back patio with a cool breeze and the puppy eating the grass.  If only the world's problems involved saving him from a caterpillar!  Sadly, a death has occurred in our area due to the virus.  Infected rates are climbing.  Fear has to be fought.  Positivity is a must.  Ventured into a different store today because I forgot an item yesterday (icing for a cake my son was baking).  This store is taking the virus seriously!  People sanitizing carts, and there is plexiglass between customer and employee, and plastic over the credit card area.  I definitely felt safer in this location and will be back there for any future grocery needs, like the coffee I forgot for my husband.

Balance is necessary.  Heading into next week with more balance is happening.  I've already created a menu, so that makes meal prep easy.  I'm planning my chores so I can enjoy next weekend off with family. I'm kicking off the 30 Days of Poetry Challenge next week.  Cannot wait to see what the students will create!  Next week is Digital Spirit Week!  Looking forward to a bit of fun!  Grateful for this peaceful time in the storm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TKAM Discussion 3 Equality --- START WITH #1 AS IT CONTAINS AN ANSWER EXAMPLE

TKAM Discussion 1 Drugs/Alcohol

TKAM Discussion 2 Philanthropy